When spray painting, it is recommended to use a paint respirator. Breathing masks prevent many microscopic, odorless particles from entering the respiratory tract during painting and renovation projects. Respirators offer protection against chemicals, harmful vapors, and mold spores. However, exposure to paint and its vapors can cause skin, eye, and throat irritation.
Often, this can go away when cleaning the affected area or going outdoors. Whether your exposure to VOC vapors is minimal or prolonged, there are undeniable risks and side effects once the vapors are inhaled. Short-term side effects may include eye, nose and throat irritation, headaches, loss of coordination, and nausea. Long-term side effects can be as dangerous as injuries to the liver, kidneys, and central nervous system.
Some organic compounds are even suspected or known to cause cancer in humans. Major signs or symptoms associated with exposure to VOCs include conjunctival irritation, nose and throat discomfort, headache, allergic skin reactions, dyspnoea, decreased serum cholinesterase levels, nausea, emesis, epistaxis, fatigue, and dizziness. While vapors from latex and oil paints can irritate the eyes, nose, and throat, they don't poison the body when used as directed. Any irritation should go away once you get in the fresh air.
If fresh air doesn't help, take a warm shower and wash your hair. Taking steps to assess hazards and protect your lungs before starting a DIY home improvement project will help all projects go smoothly. You won't have to waste time dealing with discomfort or other health issues along the way. Undertaking a home improvement project on your own can expose you and your family to substances that damage your lungs and cause other health problems.
Here are the most common hazards and safety tips for each of them:. Typical uses can include lightweight spray painting, spray sprays, epoxy overspraying, and a variety of other processes. But how safe is interior paint? And what can happen if you inhale the vapors of the paint? Keep reading as we answer these questions and more below. There is no evidence that paint vapors harm pregnant women or the fetus, but pregnant women are advised to limit their exposure to fresh paint vapors.
If parents aren't watching, young children often stick their hands in the paint or lick their brushes. Many paint products contain volatile organic compounds that can cause short- and long-term health effects. The Toxicology Center told the boy's mother not to worry if the child would drop some paint in his stool the next day. In general terms, the risk associated with paints for domestic use is low, although the risk of damage may be greater when working with paints that contain solvents other than water.
For major renovations, it's a good idea to hire a certified contractor to analyze the paint and remove it if it contains lead. Sentry Air Systems' line of ductless spray hoods and paint booths are manufactured with strict quality control measures and superior craftsmanship. Exposure to environmental irritants, such as strong paint fumes, can certainly lead to conditions such as asthma. Solvent- or oil-based paints can cause more irritation to the eyes, skin, and respiratory tract than water-based paints.
Special precautions should be taken when renovating homes with lead-based paint; see For More Information (below) for more information on lead paint and lead poisoning. Solvent-based paints may irritate the skin more or if swallowed than latex or oil-based paints. Other ingredients vary depending on the type of paint; for example, some paints may contain an ingredient to prevent mold. You may have heard that the organic solvents in paint vapors are linked to multiple sclerosis (MS).